Thursday, October 10, 2019

Student Tutorial Practical

Student tutorial:

The app/website I researched and tried out for students to design their own tutorials is STORYBOARD THAT.

Knowledge:



Some features of the STORYBOARD design include:

Individual Edition

Best Option for Creating Storyboards for Small Projects
Great For:
Comics
School Projects
Blog Content & Infographics

Educational Edition

Best Option for Teachers, Schools, & Districts
Storyboard That Supports Rostering


Great For:
Re-enforcing English, History, Special Ed, STEM, ESL, & World Language Curricula
Creating Graphic Organizers
Presentation Creation and Delivery

Favorite Education Resources
Plot Diagram
Wonder
Public Service Announcements

English (ELA) Class
Assess and reinforce student comprehension of literature with storyboards!
Diagram Narrative Structures
Study Literary Elements
Visualize Symbolism

Elementary School
Break down lessons and keep the kids engaged while they learn with storyboards!
Teach Cyber Safety
Create Story Sequences
Reinforce Vocabulary, Grammar, & Spelling
Integrate some of our favorite lesson plans into your curriculum: Anti-Bullying Education, Holes, or 8 Parts of Speech.

History Class & Social Studies Lesson Plans

Create visuals to describe key moments in history with storyboards!
Recreate History
Explain Cause & Effect
Build Timelines
Integrate some of our favorite history lessons for United States Declaration of Independence, our three part World War II lesson plans starting with Introducation to WWII, & Introduction to Ancient Egypt into your curriculum.

Language Class

Practice a foreign language by combining speech, imagery, and writing together for fun activities with storyboards!
Practice Dialogue
Conjugate Verbs
Utilize Weekly Vocabulary

Business Edition

Best Option for Professional/Corporate Use (Especially with Teams)
Great For:
Journey Mapping and Design Thinking
Product Development / Agile Software Practices
Creating Personas
Processes, Systems, & Education
Negotiation Planning
The Need for Extra Security and Privacy for Your Company/Team

Film and Video Edition

Best Option for Creating Storyboards to Express Your Vision
Great For:
YouTube or Vimeo videos
Short or full length film
Commercials
Videos for your Business
Film Class

Application:

I created a free profile to explore the different areas:


Examples of storyboards my daughter Delaney created:


PRO's:



Reflection:

I could use STORYBOARD THAT in my classroom as well as with my own older children (Grade K,1,5).
My preschool and pre-k children would love this program as it is fun, engaging, personalized, can be printed out to share with their families and THEY can be in it!
It can be used to show
A problem that may arise is that it may be time consuming if the teacher to child ratio is high. For me personally this should not be a problem as my ratio is 1 teacher to 5 students but if the ratio was higher the teacher could work in small groups instead and a few students could be in the same story/tutorial.
The program could be rolled out to students at the end of a unit to show others what they have learned or share something they would to about themselves, their culture, school etc with others in other countries even.

3 comments:

  1. Kids love creating and building an alternate universe for themselves using technology but you are right, there are so many ways to incorporate learning through ELA, science, history etc. While I think this could be capable for older Pre-k kids to achieve, the student-teacher ratio at my school would make this app hard to use. It seems as though there would need to be a lot of guided learning. I would love to see this being used for sequential ordering and story retelling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the opportunity to explore this app during one of our class meetings and I was quickly engaged by all of the images and options. Young students tell stories through their drawings first and I think this app would be a great way for them to build a story with the use of technology. At first glance I think it would take a lot of teacher instruction and tech mastery for young students to use this app successfully on their own. I do think older children would absolutely love to use this method to explain or tell their thoughts and share information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I like how you broke things down by different academic areas, makes it very easy to see how much this program can be utilized! I love the idea of introducing an alternative type of universe to the children in my classroom. I feel like they are not getting enough time to just be kids and play anymore or use their imagination.
    While I was reading through your blog I thought that this website would be a great resource to give to parents, as it kind of presents itself as a social story. This could be a great tool to give to parents to use since technology itself has become very integrated into most home situations and parents may be more comfortable or at ease with connecting to their child this way.
    Love Delaney's story :)

    ReplyDelete