Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Article Reactions


Democratic Schools

What is the benefit of this model?

Students take ownership of their education. Students are more engaged as they are making their own choices.

Do I agree with some parts of this model? Why?

Not all children are the same and fit a certain mold. Some children just do not do well in big institutionalized systems of education, just like some toddlers and preschoolers thrive in a small home like preschool setting like mine as opposed to a large center, and vice verse, so a traditional school would not be the best fit.

What do I think will not work from this model? Why?

Allowing a student to make their own choices may not end in a
positive choices. State standardized testing makes it hard for democratic schools to work well. Like Montessori schools, allowing students so much free choice may not prepare them for the real world as we don't always have a choice with everything. Students would have to be self motivated to succeed in a democratic classroom.

Would I put my child in that model?

Like many other parents I would be nervous to have my child try something like this because if it isn't successful their would be serious repercussions for our own children.
I believe that classrooms should adopt some aspects of democratic learning like allowing them to have some choice and own their learning.

Pedagogy of the Oppressed

What is the benefit of this model?

It aims to transform society to rehumanize the oppressed and their oppressors.

Do I agree with some parts of this model? Why?

I like that the goal is to transform structural oppression and that both educator and students teach and learn from each other because there is so much we as teachers can still learn from our students.The different ways student can do tutorials we have been learning about in class, is teaching how we and other students can learn from each other.

What do I think will not work from this model? Why?

Friere discusses the banking theory a lot and how the teacher talks and the students just listen. If the teacher is motivating and inspiring his/ her students to think critically about things is the teacher teaching and the student absorbing such a bad thing? Paulo Freire said “Education either functions as an instrument which is used to facilitate integration of the younger generation into the logic of the present system and bring about conformity or it becomes the practice of freedom, the means by which men and women deal critically and creatively with reality and discover how to participate in the transformation of their world.” They could take it in, make it their own and turn it into something greater than what they learned if the person teaching it is a great teacher.

Would I put my child in that model?

No as my children do not live in oppression so they don't have the need for it.

Flipped Classroom

What is the benefit of this model?

A flipped classroom according to the link is "an instructional strategy and a type of blended learning that reverses the traditional learning environment by delivering instructional content, often online, outside of the classroom. It moves activities, including those that may have traditionally been considered homework, into the classroom. In a flipped classroom, students watch online lectures, collaborate in online discussions, or carry out research at home while engaging in concepts in the classroom with the guidance of a mentor." It aims to improve student learning and by reversing the traditional model of a classroom and focus class time on student understanding rather than on lectures. Students are said to have more control, collaboration promoted, and have the information be more accessible.

Do I agree with some parts of this model? Why?

There are so many inspiring and interesting TED talks for example that students can learn from and be motivated from. I believe hands on learning is so valuable to not only help students remember what they have learnt, but also to give them the opportunity to apply or try it in a meaningful way. 

What do I think will not work from this model? Why?

Students would need access to a computer and the internet so may not work for low-income districts. Parents may not like so much screen time, teachers may not like the preparation time.

Would I put my child in that model? 

Probably not. I do feel however that all classrooms should have a hands-on approach and involve them in their own education.

Montessori

What is the benefit of this model?

I think the biggest benefits are that it encourages cooperative play, learning is child-centered, and children learn self-discipline.

Do I agree with some parts of this model? Why? 

I like how it encourages children to clean up after themselves as opposed to just dumping toys and activities out and then moving onto the next thing.

What do I think will not work from this model? Why?

I feel that giving children so many choices and allowing them to always have a choice is not realistic as we don't always have choices or are able to do what we want in life as adults. It may also be hard going from a Montessori preschool into public elementary schools where choices are not given that much.

Would I put my child in that model?

I would not as it is very expensive and I do not agree with all the ways they do things like only being able to use a toy/object for its intended purpose or in a specific way as I feel it limits creativity. I would instead choose a school that adopts some of the ideas 

Waldorf

What is the benefit of this model?

Children enjoy an unhurried childhood as they take a slower approach, learning is hands-on and age-appropriate, in-depth study enriches learning experiences, students learn how to take an active role in their own education,

Do I agree with some parts of this model? Why?

Waldorf schools are non-sectarian and non-denominational. They educate all children no matter what their cultural or religious backgrounds are which helps to bring about recognition and understanding of all the world cultures and religions. Students may have the same teacher for many years. In my school this is the case, so I have seen first hand what positives come from this. 
They are encouraged to be creative, in some schools there are no/little electronics(both a pro and con) or only allowed in 5th grade.

What do I think will not work from this model? Why?

Sometimes it ok to nudge, not push, children to try new things. Waldorf lets the students develop at their own pace by not pushing at all. Some people may not like this approach as it doesn't follow specific benchmarks.
No/limited electronics sounds great but the world we live in takes full advantage of technology and electronics so perhaps they would be lacking in skills in this area.

Would I put my child in that model?

Yes I would consider it if my child wasn't doing well in a traditional public school setting. Waldorf schools aims to create individuals that have a lifelong passion for learning and are well-rounded individuals. I think both those things are important.I like that students have the same teacher for many years and am not worried about the lack of technology aspect as we can teach it at home or they end up teaching themselves some parts by themselves.

Glen Urquhart

What is the benefit of this model?

The article describes that their aim is to:
-Explore intellect + develop imagination
-Pose questions often + devise solutions
-Speak individually, yet work collaboratively
-Discover the best within themselves
-Respect all people and value their differences
-Act responsibly in our community + the world while encouraging curiosity.

Do I agree with some parts of this model? Why?

I like that heir model includes experiential learning, thematic study built on the intersection of place-based experiences, academic skill development, and social-emotional learning, small group instruction, and integration of the arts in the academic disciplines as this will help to increase the children's knowledge about things and hopefully end with a deep understanding of it. I also like how they are outside a lot.

What do I think will not work from this model? Why?

Just like the Waldorf schools, some people may not like this approach as it doesn't follow specific benchmarks.

Would I put my child in that model?

Again, I would consider this school if my child was not doing well in a traditional public school system as there is more to a school than whether they follow the traditional benchmarks.

Is there a way that technology may allow for a blending of these models?

I think technology provides an incredible opportunity/ way to connect people around the world be it for business, educational, humanitarian or another reason. By doing this it allows our students to learn from each other, understand what people around the world do/ are going through/ need help with, they can grow with others, collaborate with each other for the good of the whole planet, be inspired and motivated by others, and so much more. The possibilities are endless if we can educate our children and students how to safely and responsibly use it.




No comments:

Post a Comment